32 in Goulburn

32 in Goulburn

Monday 3 November 2014


Back from the latest running session. With my layout unavailable to be used I am often invited to a running night by my good friend Brendan Winkler. He and his father Chris have a decent sized layout in their garage.

Here is a rough over view of their main layout.
It consists of a two track main line, separating into three storage roads each on the up and down. This enables up to six moderate length trains to be on the layout at any given time. The layout is not modeled after any place or station.
Chris has also built two smaller layouts as well. One designed as a easy to store and move basic branch line. Using a plywood base on a timber frame. Most of the track work is Peco set track to simplify design and construction, which is good for those with limited space. How ever not so friendly for those with larger locos and rolling stock. Much like my brass S class found out. It having too ridged wheel set to negotiate the tight radius curves. But the layout is well suited to shorter branch trains.
This smaller layout is stored underneath the main layout when not in use.
The main layout spanning the complete width of their two car garage. The third layout i didn't get a photo of, but it is a compact 1.5x1.5m set track "Thomas the tank" styled set up. this layout resides in the house on the rarely used dining table.

Now on to the fun!


Any one who knows me is aware that one of my favorite trains to run is my 20 car Indian Pacific consist. This consist also being my most used train, I always bring it with me when the Goulburn model railway club exibits at the Kaleen and Malkarra Canberra shows.


The Ghan belonging to Chris and Brendan. spanning two eras with NR109 as above and CLP11 below.
 The old tin hare waiting  in the loop for 44100 to pass with the up mail train.
 This is my slightly modified Lima 38 class. re-numbered 3817, tender draw bar shortened, wheeles blackened, KD's fitted front and rear. Why 3817? the history behind the actual engines short lived career involved three major accidents (the last of which writing off both 3817 and 6003) made this engine a stand out amongst the other 38's as something unusual to add to the fleet. Thankfully my 3817 has not had the same luck as the real one.


Many thanks to Chris and Brendan Winkler for letting use these photos of their great layout.
If all goes well I should head out to the Goulburn Model Railway Club this week, so there will be plenty more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment